Thursday, March 27, 2008

Wheels

Wheels, wheels, wheels ... I am not sure how the "object" engine in the game works. I cheat. A SCGT car is made of twenty different .vrl files. If anybody knows of an idiots guide to game engines and how they work, I would sure love to find out a reference. Along with the there one for exhaust, tail and head lights and a couple others. Eight of which are wheels. The cheating is that I use a set from another car and move them around to customize them.
Problem 1, the game engine simulates wheel travel as the car goes up and down hills, brakes and what not. Cute little feature that some geek worked on for months I am sure. Unfortunatley the fender profile on the real cars is such that, (where there is virtually no wheel trave),l is too low to accomadate the wheels. I have to raise the fenders to accomdate it. A pain, and makes th emodel less accurate, ya its tiny and you don't notice, I guess I will have to learn to fudge the fenders earlier in the process. The bmps are a little distorted now and I am not going to go through that process again.
Problem 2, when fixing 1, you can only see results "in game". Makes small adjustments pretty labourious.
Problem 3, choose the wrong wheels and they don't fit the width of the fender.
They are only problems because I haven't taken the time to create a full set and clone them as I need them .... take the time, get prepared, planning helps, (damn it).

No comments: