Thursday, March 20, 2008

Mercedes-Benz C-11

I believe the was the first year, (1990), Mercedes-Benz contested in the modern era, (since the 50's,?), without the Sauber qualifier along side the name.
The model is complete, I am just mapping the textures. I am using the hierarchy fetaure within AC3D and it has been a revelation. I think I have figured out a way to use multiple BMP's on the model without making into a mess. This will allow me two 1024x1024 .BMPS, to map the model which will keep the graphic cards from the klunge that we have been noticing when there is too many cars. I should still have enough surface area to keep the graphics resonably crisp.


Secondly polies. Ya they are trivial for real modelling .... but they just clobber the my targeted game engine. It is a circa 1999 game engine ... hey may be old but it is reliable. (sort of, kind of like me, old, and somethines reliable).


What I am doing is ensuring that I build a xxxxVE, for each model. The way the game seems to work, is it will load objects, "Just In Time", JIT, for rendering. A SCGT model has actually six different objects, A, thru E and a W.


Forget W it is a wet reflection. A thru E are displayed at different distances. When the car is far away, just a spec of colour really, it uses the E model. Now when you are in game, there may be three cars around you, all high res, 2200 polies each. But there may be anywhere from six to ten in the distance ... do the the math. The game engine chokes. Now by using a low poly model for the E version, approx 200 polies I hope to avoid this. The cost a bit of a flicker when it moves form one shape to the next. The better your low poly model the smoother your transition.


The original cars and the real "proffessionals" still do make 5 distinct models, (plus the W is 6). I am however too lazy and am trying to cut corners.

No comments: