Monday, March 24, 2008

C11 Mapping


I have discovered how I can use the Hierarchy tool to help map my textures. Man I was a dummy, this makes things much easier. I decompose the model into smaller bits. Hide the ones that I don't need at the moment, and work with a smaller set of polies. Later I will combine the bits and pieces into a couple of large objects for export. The game engine has a limit on bmp's, I beleive 500 bmps are supported. This includes the environment, (track) and all cars. Using a minimum number of bitmaps is an advantage in the more graphically intense tracks.

I am curious to see whether the split will have an impact on exporting from the subsequent tools that I have to work with. I believe I will export from AC3D, in 3ds format. It will be three objects. I will import into zMod, have to combine them into a single object. From there export the single object to a vrl format supported by the game. I have done this a bunch, but my brain always gets mixed up. Dyslexia, (actually its probably more of a brain fart). You don't want to know the hoops I go through next to get a transparent window, I will save that for another day.

I will have one more bmp, for the low res model. In total I have the Primary for main body parts, a secondary one for the other parts, (driver, wing, interior etc.), one for windows, (a requirement for the transparency process, one for tires, (which will be shared with other models) and the final one for the LR VE model. I have seen the tire maps included in the main bmp's, I may consider that as I move along.

I have kind of laid out how I map things, now I don't know if it's clear or not, but if anyone has suggestions about what may be better or easier, let me know. I am still feeling my way around and I am very open to suggestions.

No comments: