Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Porsche 962 - Short Tail

The 962 is a staple of this racing era. One of the reasons I chose this year to model is the "Short Tailed Porsche", used for Championship races, but not at Le Mans. I suppose the longer tail provides stability down the Mulsanne Straight. Now this model is 90 percent someone else's and I want be sure he gets credit. I only know his handle at the forum we both frequent. Weed's. Weeds has made a huge comtribution to the SCGT community with his Group C models through the 80's time period. Prior to newer conversions from other, newer games I figure, in my opinion he set the standard for modelling along with a couple of others. With his permission, I modified his model to create the short tail variant of the 962. At this point in time I beleive there was no direct, offical factory support and the Porsche banner was carried by a number of indepenant, semi factory teams. These names are familar still today. Joest and Kremer and to a lesser extent Konrad and Brun. They all began to evolve the basic 962 into independently along slightly different lines.
Looking at the 1990 Porsches, they have multiple interpretations of the gurney flap, (I think that is what it is called, sounds better than thingy on the side). This is the most obvious difference for the short tailed porsches. What I did, because figured out the Hierachy Tool is create object for each variation that I want to release. I will map them to a common area in the texture, large enough to accomadate the largest surface area. Then, at export time, AC3D, in a 3ds format, allow the intergrity of the objects and textures to be maintained and imported into zMod 1.7. What I found out about zMod is there is a multiple file export. Select it and it will export all objects in to its own unique SCGT .vrl which can be used in game. The final step is to import the individual files, mixed and matched appropriatly, into another tool called Modeller Garage. This is the oldest tool used in SCGT. I think it was somebodies grad project in 1999 or something. Anyway it is a tempermental old thing, but it does have a great import and consolidation capability. I should be able to pick and chose which vrls I want and create the variations I need.
I have six short tailed versions currently planned. Joest had 3 cars, (just because it's easy to clone), and the Konrad, Brun and Kremer. The Kremer is a bit confusing to me. Somethimes it is referenced as a 962CK6. Now they used a skirted version a couple of times, is that the CK6 and the 962C is the open wheel well version. Not sure. I am going to have a bit of research to do. If I don't get too bored I may do a skirted variation, "ala" le Mans and a couple of the traditional fin tailed porsches. But that would be a paint job on an exisiting car model, not a modelling exercise.

No comments: