Tuesday, April 22, 2008

Mapping and Objects

I started mapping the Nissan. My first step is to break it into smaller, more bite sized chunks. Well interesting development, AC3D seems to becomes a CPU hog when more objects are being used. I select everything, then map it to a small default patch. This is to ensure I get all polies and have no odd BMP's left over when I construct the final model. It was a pig, select, enter the command and go get your email ... not good, really fubars your work flow. Now, I may not need do the whole thing, but I will have to think about it.

As well, interestingly, with a lot of random piddling around found a transparent feature built in to AC3D. Couldn't find it in the documentation, (RTFM), and the forum just talked about using transparent gifs ... ikes. Well I found the option in the texture properties. I successfully exported to zMod but now am stuck at what advantage this give me in the process. Remember I am building for an old, cult game. This may be great for rendering, I will find out whether it is I suppose if I ever go there. I export in multiple files, but zMod dosen't export transparent properly, I have to go to an earlier version for the transparent parts anyway. So it is nice to have it integarted inot the overall process, but I don't know if it will save me anything.

Motorheads will notice, in the graphic, I have built optional skirts for the 90CK to turn it into, in my mind anyway, the 89C. It will give me options for variations.

No comments: